- Week 1
What is translation?
When did it start?
Why do we need translation?
What are the types of translation?
- Week 2
Grammar Point: Difference between by and until
- Week 3
Unit 1 of the book Advanced English for Translation
- By (Exercise 1.1): Difference between "until" and "by"
- Past Perfect Continous Tense (Exercise 1.2)
-Idioms with to/into (Exercise 1.3)
-Double Comparative: Cause & Effect Relationship
-Might: Different meaning of the word "might"
a) Weak Possibility
b) (Formal) Permission
c) giving advice & making a suggestion
d) Expressing disapproval & criticism
- Week 4
- Present Simple/Present Continous Tenses ((Exercise 2.1): In Turkish and English, the use of these tenses depend on the context. The differences will be studied through the sample sentences.
- Take/bring/fetch (Exercise 2.2)
- Phrasal verbs - to see (Exercise 2.4)
- Idiomatic Expressions with -'s- (Exercise 2.5)
- Order of adjectives (OSACOMP)
- Week 5
The students are supposed to translate some Turkish sentences and stanzas from a Turkish song into English. The aim is to learn how to translate "tenses" of the Turkish language.
- Week 6
- Plural Nouns (Exercise 3.1)
- Adjectives in -ing and -ed (Exercise 3.2)
- Arise/raise/rise (Exercise 3.4)
- Week 7
Extract from Orhan Kemal's "Elli Kuruş"
- Week 8
- Phrasal Verbs - to turn (Exercise 6.1)
- Stative Verbs (Exercise 6.2): the verbs cannot be used in continous form
- Conditionals (Exercise 6.4)
- Prepositions in final position (Exercise 6.5)
- Week 9
- Compound nouns with "break" (Exercise 7.1)
- Adverbials with present perfect (Exercise 7.2)
- Future passive (Exercise 7.3)
- -ing clauses (Exercise 7.4)
- Week 10
- Week 11
W. H. Auden's "O Tell me the Truth about Love"
- Week 12
Can Yücel's translation of W. H. Auden's "O Tell me the Truth about Love"
- Week 13
A Turkish poem (Istanbul'u Dinliyorum) will be translated into English in accordance with the English language and English culture.
- Week 14